One activity that I have sorely missed since moving to IL is fishing. Recently, I have discovered that the wide but narrow retention pond that is across the street from our house is full of bass and bluegills. According to one of my neighbors, someone in the neighborhood stocked it years ago with personal catchings and it has since taken. It's not the most access friendly--you have to walk down a steep bank through tall weeds, where I spotted a family of skunks, contend with lots of mosquito, and stand in the water (I bought rubber boots) because of tall cattails blocking casting lanes--but the hassles are offset by its proximity and its productivity (averaging about 4 bass in 30-45 minute sessions and as many bluegills as you want to catch).
Several weeks ago, I set up an inflatable boat and took Payton on an enjoyable boat ride in the pond (sorry, no pictures).
Here's a picture of the biggest I've pulled out so far (18/19 inches!).
No comments:
Post a Comment